Wheel alignment

Monday 14 May 2018

Bloody computers.......

I'm fairly well educated and thought my problem-solving skills were reasonable so why is it that the moment that our desktop PC decides to misbehave, I turn into a knuckle-dragging moron with psychopathic tendencies?  Even the cats steer clear of me when something goes wrong with the computer.

Let's go back a month or two.....

The Institute of Advanced Motorists in NZ is growing fast and emails with documents attached leave a bit to be desired in terms of rapid communications between regions.  Similarly, it's difficult getting key players physically together to do some forward planning.  Enter Microsoft on their white charger, bless 'em.  They provide a suite of tools which falls under the general title of Microsoft Teams free of charge to charitable institutions and all the indications so far is that it's an absolute gem and will save bucket loads of time.  It makes document sharing and editing in real time a piece of cake.  Nice clear folders giving multiple access to all the key documentation any of us need.  All installed and working first time up by one of our IAM Observers who also happens to walk on water when it comes to IT systems.  He also talks in clear, unambiguous English but more on that later.  Shame he rides a BMW.

Simple, free and works brilliantly - screen shot of part of the system

One of the other superb features of MS Teams is the ability to multi-party teleconference by video, or voice alone.  This is a godsend, just as it is in the normal business world or academia.  It's particularly valuable to my region of IAM which covers an area of some 34,000 sq km.  Getting the voluntary regional Observing team physically together for planning purposes is a nightmare but with teleconferencing, easy peasey and all part of working smarter.

In the short while the system has been working, I've used a combination of tablet and Samsung S8, principally because my desktop PC has no camera or mic.  However, having a nice big screen to use whilst teleconferencing would be a big plus for an old codger like me, so let's buy a video camera with an in-built microphone and hook it up - how hard can that be?  Well as it happens, soaking up half the weekend with several losses of temper, not to mention plummeting self-esteem!

Nice, simple Logitech camera clipped to the top of the PC screen

Last Friday, my Logitech camera duly arrived by courier and the sparse instructions optimistically said, "Clip it to your screen, stick the other end in a spare USB port and the world will be your oyster".  You just know that it's going to end badly, don't you?  Although the video worked fine, the audio was non-existent and the control panel only partially resembled what was on the instruction sheet.  After an hour or so of blundering about and finally admitting defeat, a quick search of the internet implied that Windows 10 was the work of the Devil and the various builds and patches ensured that getting peripherals to work properly had about the same chance as winning Lotto.  What to do now?

With a sinking feeling, I explored making contact with Microsoft or Logitech and it appears they've both got quite cunning to avoid both expense and direct responsibility for solving the problem.  I was directed to what are euphemistically called "Community help boards" where supposedly IT-savvy people unconnected with the main parties try and solve your problem.  Messages detailing the problem were duly placed and literally within minutes, replies were posted.  This turned out to be quite a depressing experience as they may well have been talking in Martian.

An example: "Yes, Windows 10, build version 17134 stuffs up the camera drivers and you need to roll it back to an earlier version called Zog 1634, revision xyz "(I made that bit up but you get the picture).  Here are the instructions on how to do it - we hope that you have a doctorate in computer systems as it will only take 24 hours in that case".  One look at the instructions indicated that trying to follow them would likely end in complete disaster.  The community boards yielded completely differing ways of solving the problem but there was a common thread.  When I asked whether their solutions would solve my problem, you could sense a mental crossing of fingers and a long-winded answer which boiled down to "Maybe".  Plain English and confidence in getting a good outcome are clearly skills lost to IT people.

Not wishing to turn a bad situation into a hopeless one, I had a nosey about on the Microsoft website and saw that a major update of Windows 10 was being rolled out.  Windows 10, version 1803 to be precise, so that it looks as if I know what I'm talking about.  Using that time-honoured IT expert solution of crossing my fingers, I started the download and a couple of hours later and answering some Microsoft startup questions which I took an (un)educated guess at EVERYTHING WORKED, INCLUDING THE MIC!!  Why didn't anyone simply tell me that there was an update and to try that?

Success is why you see a smile in the next photo taken on the webcam.  If it had been a video, you would have heard me singing ,"We are the champions".

A happy non-IT person

Having now offended every human being on the planet with IT skills, I will take my leave.  Running the maintenance engineering team at a large pulp and paper mill was child's play compared with hooking up this video camera to the PC!  Good job spending a whole Saturday getting a solution was whilst it was pouring with rain and I didn't want to get the Suzuki covered in crap!

Until next time........



18 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm, can you fix my laptop? It is nearly 100 years old and it's camera stopped working years ago....


    PS: Google has got similar free stuff for sharing files, chat etc. Quite hard case watching someone else typing in your spreadsheet in real time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! No chance, I struggle enough fixing my own gear!

    Yep, I used Google Drive for my IAM work,including file sharing and joint updates etc. MS Teams offers heaps more. BTW, you know the implementer - Alan Denness. Really down to earth, even if his nickname is "Sheldon" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that guy!

      Just got Teams and the Office 360 apps at work too...just got to figure out how to drive them and why I should use them...

      Delete
  3. Yep, none other :-) .

    Yep, I'm busy learning all the capabilities too. Tons of features.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain brother.
    Simple option throw out your monitor and buy one with a camera and mic in it, no setup required. Probably as cheap as doing it the other way. Monitors are easily picked up for $130 these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I was ok with computers - apparently not!

    Good suggestion - unfortunately, this monitor is only 6 months old. Next time mate!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get a Mac and away from all that is Microsoft (and Adobe)...

    I occasionally use the MS Office 360 stuff, Teams and their cloud storage but only because others insist on using them. There is still no match for Excel but all of the other stuff doesn't stand out. I have Windows 10 running on a Lenovo convertible and it's okay but doesn't seem to do anything well. To me, the Mac has always been simple, easy and usually works as expected. And the unix underpinnings give me all the flexibility I need. Even to run some Windows programs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Richard,
    I have an old iPad and even Apple has its limitations which is why I bought an Android tablet! I agree with you about Adobe. I recently uninstalled Adobe Reader because for some unknown reason, it started interfering with my Garmin GPS files! It's all black magic, I tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a patient man Mr James. That camera would have met my ball pein hammer after about an hour of "installation" work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not patient Dave, just stubborn or bloody-minded. Hate things getting the better of me. Mind you, there was an occasion with my second ever motorcycle when I'd spent ages trying to lever a centre stand spring on. I was getting pretty annoyed to put it mildly. Finally, the screwdriver I was using slipped and I drove my knuckles full tilt into the concrete below the bike. There was an explosion of red mist and I stabbed the seat of the bike with the screwdriver. It gave a good insight into how crimes of passion occur!

      Delete
    2. It only matters how many times you stabbed that seat.......

      Delete
    3. Just the once, how's that for control? ;-)

      Delete
  9. Hahaha,

    Fantastic control Geoff.

    Only one stab at an inanimate object that caused you pain - are you running for Pope or something?
    lovely insightful blog as always
    Kindest
    Nitro MacMad
    (Nick in Guernsey)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hiya Nick!

    Haha - one stab as a hormonal 18 year old wasn't bad, I freely admit! However, I think that computers have the capability to send me over the edge!

    Lovely to get your email and will reply soon.

    Take care....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job getting it fixed on your own after all that Geoff. Nothing makes me swear more than computers, unless it is traffic..maybe.

    If I have an issue I'd call RichardM, he is a guru. Of course i am on Macs at home too. But now using a PC at work, which is a big change for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Brandy,
    I'm sure that a psychologist would have a field day watching me talk to computers! From my recent experience on the bulletin boards and pre-retirement at work, IT gurus are best avoided 😉. I still have my old iPad, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth now so bought a Samsung Galaxy tablet last year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. https://wg.popcorn.cx/films/twt/sounds/all_well_that_ends_well%2C_that%27s_what_i_say.wav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only just discovered your post Jules, hahahaha!

      Delete

Hello! I love to hear your feedback as it often leads to other things. However, if your comments are blatant advertising, then they won't get published.