Wheel alignment

Sunday 31 March 2019

The Scalpel - one month and 1500 km down the track

By way of a brief recap, I wanted a lighter bike as a concession to age (and short legs) and for various reasons, my personal choice boiled down to the Triumph Street Triple or KTM Duke 790, nicknamed "The Scalpel" by the factory.  Having owned a Triple 675 for 6 years and briefly tried a 765, I knew what wonderful bikes they are and was pretty relaxed about owning either the Triumph or KTM as both would meet both my functional needs and importantly, touch my soul in a way that my GSX-S 1000 didn't.

The previous post detailed the test ride on a demonstrator Duke and the effect it had on me, actually laughing out loud inside the helmet.  I'd already done plenty of research on the Triumph and Duke and it was the fun factor and potentially wild nature of the Duke that sealed it.  Part of the research involved being put in touch with a Kiwi professional engineer, Rodney O'Connor; who had worked for both KTM and Triumph design teams whilst travelling overseas.  Rodney gave some great insights as to the workings of both companies which were extremely valuable.  However, the most valuable bit of information he gave was this (reproduced verbatim):

"It's not the way the coin lands that decides for you, but your reaction to the way the coin lands that will tell you the decision you want to make"

After riding the Duke, I did a mental coin toss simulating the Street Triple coming out on top.  I actually felt disappointed and that reaction clarified and sealed the decision to buy the Duke!  Amazing how a simple bit of advice made the decision so clear.  Thanks a million Rodney.... and Blair who made the introduction!  You really do need to listen to your heart as part of the buying process if you want complete satisfaction.

Sooooo....  here we are, one month in and about 1500 km on the clock.  Would have been a lot more had it not been for hosting UK friends we hadn't seen for 34 years, then copping a virus which laid me low for a week.  Thought I'd take the opportunity to detail my experiences and thoughts so far.  Naturally, these comments are personal for my particular needs.

Day 1... about to ride home from the dealer - laughing already

ERGONOMICS
Excellent for my 5'7" height.  At 825mm seat height, it's 15mm higher than my Suzuki but the shape of the seat is such that it allows my legs to be in a more vertical position at a standstill.  This amply demonstrates that both seat height and shape both have a bearing on suitability.   The seat is firm but surprisingly comfortable.  Longest day in the saddle so far has been 500 km with minimal stopping and whilst I've been aware of pressure on my butt towards the end, it hasn't been distracting.

No complaints about seat comfort

On the Suzuki, I fitted lowered footpegs to relieve the pressure on damaged knees.  There has been no need to do this on the KTM as it's even more comfortable than the Suzuki with its modified setup.  The upright riding position provides excellent all-round visibility - an important safety feature in traffic.

The KTM weight at 169 kg without fuel is about 40kg lighter (yep, that's one heck of a lot!) than the Suzuki and has a lower centre of gravity.  That's a massive benefit to my ageing body, particularly at low speeds, parking or just wheeling it about.  A lightweight bike was my No 1 criterion (coupled with performance) and the purchase has hit the spot in this respect.  Performance aspect shortly!

TECHNICAL FEATURES
The electronics package on the KTM is really impressive and is controlled through the TFT screen.  The basic riding modes are Rain, Street, Sport and Track with ABS and Traction Control being lean-angle sensitive too!  It also has launch control and anti-wheelie options if you're pushing the performance envelope but they will be features to play with a bit further down the track. A steering damper is standard.  Being a typical guy, I haven't read and memorised the manual from cover to cover yet!

The photo below shows the TFT display in its normal riding mode.  The black background is "night mode", designed to reduce glare.  In brighter light, it has a white background.  A sensor auto-detects light levels.  Some reviewers have found this feature a little annoying (e.g switching when riding under tree cover) but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.  The display shows all the normal stuff - distance covered, distance before next fill-up and so on.  Approaching the rev limit, the screen above the rev counter line starts flashing KTM orange as a visual cue that it's time to think about changing gear!

TFT display in low ambient light mode

One technical feature I do use is the quickshifter.  This could be easily dismissed as a toy for wannabe racers but not needing to use the clutch is surprisingly useful in a normal road environment.  Downshifts are silky smooth and very fast so that any disruption to the bike's drive/stability is minimal.  Smooth upshifts require a reasonable amount of throttle and for this reason, I still tend to use the clutch most of the time.  However, when gassing it, the benefits are the same as downshifting.  In any event, the gearbox is an absolute peach and engaging first gear in particular is the tiniest of "snicks", compared with the big clunk on the last bike.

Quickshifter behind the engine

I've only used the headlight in twilight conditions as opposed to complete darkness but the LED light comes in for particular praise on road tests.  No reason to doubt it from what I've seen so far.  EDIT:  Have now tried it in complete darkness on twisty roads with no ambient light and it's perfectly acceptable.  I have completed 5 "Iron Butt" 1600 km in under 24 hours organised rides on various bikes.  They involve 10-12 hours of riding on minor roads in complete darkness and I would be quite happy to complete such a ride on the KTM without any form of lighting upgrade.

That's bright, that is!

PERFORMANCE (aka Wossit do, Mister?)
The engine
In the real world, brute horsepower isn't a good indicator of the ability to make progress on public highways.  Power to weight ratio, torque characteristics and handling all have significant influence.  Comparing the power to weight ratio of the KTM and GSX-S1000, they come out at 0.62 bhp/kg and 0.69 bhp/kg (dry weight) respectively so close enough not to really matter.  Sufficient to propel the KTM to a top speed of around 230 km/hr which is more than adequate for this old geezer!

The claimed torque of the KTM is 86 N-m compared with 106 N-m of the Suzuki but the KTM isn't having to accelerate as much mass.  From the perspective of owning both bikes, the Suzuki is definitely better but not by much under most conditions.  Snap overtakes at any speed in any gear are a breeze, aided by the quickshifter of course.

Sexy pipework!

The engine note is one of the features which I found attractive.  The standard muffler has quite a bark without attracting too much attention and pops a little on the over-run.  The "big bang" 435 degree firing order makes it sound a bit like a Ducati V twin with Termignoni end cans when revving.  At lower revs, it sounds more like a large capacity single cylinder trail bike.  In summary, I like it a lot!  One of the more well-known applications of "big bang" technology was on the 2 stroke NSR 500cc Honda GP bikes in the 90's which Mick Doohan and others rode.  Uneven power pulses made the engine power delivery easier to control, better traction and less tyre wear.  Maybe it applies to some extent on road bikes too!

Handling
In a word, exceptional. Very little countersteering required on bend sequences to point the bike where you want it to go - you can just chuck it around.  I guess this is a combination of the light weight and steering geometry.  Less fatiguing than a larger, heavier bike.  Everything I expected it to be.  Tyres are the purpose-designed Maxxis pure sport.  I've no complaints about them so far in warm conditions or even wet mixed with warmth in rain mode and they are now virtually worn to the edges.  However, in the colder, wetter months; they're probably going to exhibit lower levels of grip associated with pure sport tyres under those conditions.  When the time comes, they'll probably be replaced with Michelin Road 5's like I had on the Suzuki.  A great all-round tyre in both wet and dry conditions.  Another aspect of the handling I love is the turning circle - it's SMALL!  My Suzuki was so-so and the 2009 Street Triple was abysmal.  With the Triple, you couldn't make a complete U turn on a moderate width road (as I found out to my cost not long after buying it - only a broken front indicator cover but massive ego damage).

Brakes
Haven't really had to use them in anger but "adequate" is the word that comes to mind.  Damned by faint praise I suppose.  As time goes by and if any real shortcomings arise, I'll pop a set of EBC HH pads in as that's done the trick on both the Street Triple and GSX-S 1000.

Fuel Consumption
Before purchase, this was the aspect which bothered me a bit with the KTM having a 14 litre tank.  Living way out in the countryside, my journeys are usually several hundred km and having a reasonable range is important.  I've been pleasantly surprised.  If the instrumentation is fairly accurate, fuel consumption during the break-in period has equated to a range of between 270-300 km which is quite acceptable.

QUALITY OF FINISH
Too early to tell in the longer term but the paintwork, plastic and alloy looks really good with a lot of attention to detail.  Bolts are mostly normal hex head with the Torx 6 point star in the centre for better grip than either Phillips or Allen keys.  The toolkit provides various sized bits.

ACCESSORIES
I've always avoided accessories with purely cosmetic function but nonetheless, seem to have made quite a dent in my wallet in terms of aftermarket stuff from around the world to meet my particular needs.

The finished article (for now)

Starting up front, an Ermax flyscreen from France.  Minimal impact at low speed but at higher speeds, wind blast is moved up to the shoulder area.  One possible unintended consequence is that the screen disintegrates squishy bugs, then fires the pulverised remains across my visor with the accelerated slipstream.  Will have to see if my observation is correct.  Extortion clearly isn't the sole province of the Mafia.  The French manufacturer wanted over NZ$100 in shipping costs alone.  You know how it is when you desperately want something - grit your teeth and pay up!  That's exactly what I did.  Quality is excellent which takes some of the pain away.

The R&G crash protectors and Pyramid front guard extension came from the UK and shipping rates were pretty fair.  I had both on my Suzuki and knew what I was getting.  I've also fitted R&G anti-slip tank protection.  That's the matte finish area at the rear of the tank and it blends in nicely with the matte seat and matte plastic cover below the tank.  Wasn't really interested in the anti-slip properties and bought it simply for paintwork protection from being scuffed with my riding gear.  I also bought a CNC-machined attachment to increase the foot area of the sidestand.  The original foot is quite narrow and I could foresee plenty of scope for it sinking into a soft verge, followed by lots of embarrassment and ego damage!

Crash protection - R&G Aero

Nice alloy side stand pad

The best value for money accessory has been the tail pack on the rear seat.  It's waterproof, expandable (it'll allegedly take a helmet) and has padded straps to convert it to a back pack.  Bought via eBay from Hong Kong for NZ$60 delivered.  Given the price, I didn't have particularly high expectations about the quality but I can't fault it!

Fantastic value for money and looks like it was designed for the bike

A radiator guard is a possible addition to the accessory list but at least the front guard extension keeps the crap and stones from the front wheel pretty much away from the radiator.  At least with the accessory list more or less done and dusted for now, Jennie won't be scanning our bank statements and rolling her eyes!

NIGGLES AND DISLIKES
A bit early to tell but nothing major at present.  The chain clearance under the swingarm is pretty close which makes lubricating it somewhat more difficult, even using my ABBA Superbike stand.  Not a big deal though.  Of slightly more concern is correctly setting chain tension when the time comes because of the proximity to the swingarm - will have to do some reading about that.

Not much clearance between chain and swingarm

TO SUM IT ALL UP SO FAR
"Character" is a word which means different things to different people.  Modern bikes are normally so good that it's hard to separate one from another apart from looks.  In the case of the KTM, the engine note and characteristics, looks and overall performance all genuinely add a point of difference.  This is obviously personal to me and is also influenced by the bikes I've previously owned.

Do I still think I made the right choice between the KTM and the Street Triple?  Unequivocally yes.  I would have been happy with either but the Duke adds an extra dimension of excitement.  To go back to my slightly tongue in cheek comment in the previous post.....  the Street Triple is the smooth, sophisticated chick who is classy and exciting, perhaps a tad predictable but still delivers a great performance.  The KTM is the slightly dodgy chick, a bit wild and unpredictable and fun but delivers a sensational performance that lights your fire. Definitely wouldn't take her home to meet your mother!  Like the dodgy chick, the KTM encourages immoderate behaviour.  I can't sum it up better better than that!

A fellow IAM member took it for a short ride today.  When he returned, he had a massive grin on his face and his first words were, "If I owned this, I'd really be risking my licence".  Enough said!

More on the KTM after a bigger distance has been covered, but an update covering instrumentation accuracy and headlight effectiveness can be found HERE

Out and about on Bad Girl Lola!

Addendum:  In early 2020, a 2100 km tour was undertaken on the 790 in the company of some good mates.  Whilst it's not set up as a touring bike, it was surprisingly competent and its light weight substantially reduced fatigue.  Part 1 of the write-up and photos can be found HERE with parts 2 and 3 on subsequent posts.   There's also an 18 month, 15,000 km ownership update HERE


52 comments:

  1. Awesome Geoff! Really glad to hear that the Duke is fitting the bill so completely. I looked one over last week at the local dealer and they are one sexy beast. Perfect for the real world too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! After buying the Suzuki with a bit too much haste, I put a fair bit of thought into what to get this time and it appears to have paid off in spades. Can't wipemthe smile off my face 😁

      Delete
  2. I am glad you are enjoying the new ride so much. It sounds like you made the perfect decision. And I agree with the coin toss quote. It is what you wish for when it is in the air that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brandy, I certainly am! I was out in the rain yesterday on pure sport tyres. Popped it into rain mode traction control before setting off and it was like it was on rails. Now that's really reassuring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the coin toss method with the virtual coin toss. It sounds like the KTM is a pretty good fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes life so much simpler, eh Richard? Now I have to learn to behave myself..... or at least be discreet 😄

      Delete
  5. At 6'-4", seat height is important to me, especially for long trips. The Duke sounds perfect for taller riders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the taller owners have raised seats and/or an Airhawk pad but the seat to footpeg length is certainly more generous than the Suzuki.

      Delete
  6. Glad you're enjoying the new beast Geoff. I'd have to a agree that a twin is a lot more fun than those silky smooth triples. I love my current twin!

    Oh, and I've made a little edit for you:

    That's a massive benefit to my ageing body, particularly at low speeds, parking or wheelies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew,
      It's the light weight which is the real clincher - you can do practically anything with it. Going back to a twin is indeed a lot fun, especially as it's mental! Regarding your edit.... you might think that but I couldn't possibly comment 😎

      Delete
  7. A man in love... Your description really makes me curious about the KTM, especially with regards to the weight (Sporty has become a bit overweight for me at 250 kg...) and the ergonomics for the vertically challenged. Not sure why I would need a max. speed of 230km/h though... Looking forward to hear/read more about this dodgy chick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonja!
      Remember our last conversation? It could be a woman in love if you think of it as the guy in ripped jeans and a leather jacket 😃. It's not about the top speed, it's all about acceleration and handling. Go see your local dealer, have a ride on a demonstrator and you'll see what I mean!

      Delete
    2. I already googled the German equivalent of "KTM dealership" ;-)

      Delete
  8. Hi Geoff
    The KTM sure looks like it suits your height. Your going to need to change your blog header now, with the dodgy chick front and centre.
    I bet its a fun bike to ride, and excellent mini review too. Is the quick shift both up and down?(autoblipper). My R1 only has the quickshifter not the autoblipper and friends with it rave about it. Happy days mate and now the motor is run in, it should have loosened up a bit and probably better economy. At least you didn't run out of fuel on your first outing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Steve,
    Didn't think about the header - good point thanks! Yep, quickshifts in both directions. I tend to upshift manually unless I'm in a real hurry as you need a reasonable amount of throttle to make it seamless changing up. It's still pretty good on moderate throttle though. The eletronics package is impressive. Yet to try wheelie control and launch control!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice review. Agree with your appraisal. Mine just makes me grin in my helmet every time I ride it. As for the quick shifter/blibber, I hardly touch the clutch any more apart from stopping and starting. It is a joy to ride and I would recommend any rider, of (almost) any level test ride one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a ride today in warm, dry conditions. Had it in Sport mode for the entire ride including through town and although the throttle was more sensitive than Road mode, it wasn't particularly snatchy. Like you, I love the quickshifter. Really useful on twisty roads.

      Delete
  11. Very nice choice ... your short legs however are nothing compared to mine. I so understand the need for lighter. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, lovely to hear from you and hope that you're well! Many thanks, it is definitely the right choice for me. The light weight is wonderful!

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a ton of fun Geoff. I recently enjoyed a few days on a MT-07 back in Aus and got me thinking again I'd like something lighter than my tourer. Look forward to continued reports on the KTM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, Warren! It's really a case of "horses for courses" and the KTM suits me down to the ground. More than anything, it makes me laugh!

      Delete
  13. A beautiful motorcycle. I'm starting at the other end of the spectrum with a Vespa. We have thousands of miles of forest roads here in Pennsylvania and I'm growing weary in my old age of bouncing along on dirt and gravel with the scooter. I've looked at the 690 and 790 more than once along with the Kawasaki KLR650, Suzuki DL650 and the BMW F650GS (if I can find one). More and more though my concerns about weight and the relatively slow speeds in which I travel, the Suzuki TW200 is looking more and more enticing.

    Have fun with the KTM and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Steve! I actually prefer the looks of the Street Triple but overall, the KTM is much more fun. I also pat it in the shed when I walk past it. Didn't do that with my Suzuki. Any of the more adventure-oriented bikes you mention would be a great choice but have you considered the BMW 310? Husband and wife friends of mine bought one each and love them to bits for both use on gravel roads and tar seal. The light weight is what sold them on the 310's.

    Safe riding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Street Triple is a pretty bike. I rode one for a week about ten years ago. I remember it now as "smooth."

      My Street Triple Experience

      I would love to have a BMW310 GS but the price makes me wince a bit. Not sure why. And I think the Yamaha TW200 with the big fat tires might be a better horse for the dirt, gravel and forest trails I wander on. Time will tell.

      Delete
    2. Hi again Steve,
      Really enjoyed your Street Triple write-up. Having previously owned that particular model and year for 7 years and 70,000 km, I totally concur with your comments. It makes a great touring bike too. I completed an Iron Butt 1000 miles in under 24 hours on mine with the addition of an Airhawk pad and it was supremely comfortable.

      The TW 200 is also an excellent choice. A friend who has a business coaching off-road riding has one and he prefers it to his Tiger 800 for serious off-road work. A real first world problem deciding what to buy, isn't it? :-)

      Delete
    3. I think what Steve really needs is a WR250 - everyone needs one...

      PS: I see this post has become a little more famous...

      Delete
  15. Great bike, super light and economical!

    You mean the Boyd Motorcycles newsletter? I knew that Greg Boyd was tickled by the post I wrote about the demo ride I had but had no idea he read this one. Didn't tell me that he was going to publish it, not that I was worried. Boyd's always look after me very well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Geoff

    Having had another read of your latest post it strikes a chord as I may have the chance of buying a Street Triple RS second-hand from a chap at work whom I know wand trust will have looked after it. Having owned an original Street Triple back in 2008-2009 I remember that the original was a cracking machine and that I really enjoyed all types of riding on it. Sadly I didn't manage to get it onto a track but I'm confident that it would have excelled there too.

    Did you ride of the 765 leave a lasting impression like the original 675 did? What was different and is the KTM really that different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,
      Performance-wise, there's virtually no difference between the Triple and the Duke, albeit delivered differently. The Duke was ergonomically better for me but in the end, the decision was an emotional one. I fancied the "naughty chick" as opposed to the more sophisticated predictable one. I suspect your decision whether to purchase will be an emotional one too. What will be the point of difference? Will it be too similar to your MV's?

      Delete
    2. Geoff

      You're probably right about it being similar to the MVs. I'm waiting on the owner to decide if he wants to sell or not - I suspect that a decent ride on it will persuade him to keep hold of it. This will be a good thing! for my bank balance at least.

      Worse weather always seems to do this to me - That is less time riding equals more time to think about prospective purchases! Clearly I need to get out and about more...

      Delete
    3. Hahaha - Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)! You and me both. With Jennie's hip replacement and the passing of a close friend, my riding has been rather curtailed in the last 2 or 3 months. Out on an IAM observed ride at the weekend which should alleviate it to some extent!

      Delete
  17. Hi Geoff

    I've received the book by the way. Thanks for that. Wise words from yourself and these things are sent to help us press life's big 'Reset' button every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,
      Glad to have been of some minor assistance! Often, it's an almost chance remark by someone else which sets us thinking. That was almost certainly what lead me to consider the Duke 790.

      Every good wish for planning your trip!

      Delete
  18. Really interesting and well done review. Great looking bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks "Unknown". I get far more pleasure from writing articles on the blog than I ever did writing decades of technical reports in my pre-retirement days!

      Delete
  19. Geoff

    An interesting comment regarding the fuel economy of the 790. Having just read a good article on the bennetts bikesocial website (Google it - You'll find it interesting) about the forthcoming Euro 5 emissions regulations bike engines' efficiency is going to come to the fore a lot more in the coming years. I always keep an eye on the fuel figures of all my bikes as I often think that a degradation in economy is a good first indicator of an issue. Of my fleet an interesting comparison is that between my 1995 Triumph Thunderbird and the 2917 Thruxton 1200. Despite the Thruxton having a larger engine its economy is significantly better (Think 21+ Km/lt versus 15-16 Km/lt), a lot of which is down to the more modern technology utilised. All this in just over 20 years. I'll be interested in what figures you get from the Katoom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,
      Nothing better than a technical discussion between two engineers although someone who is not me would have another opinion! Funny you should raise the matter as I've just been doing some measuring of various things including fuel consumption using my GPS for accurate distance. I'll put a mini-post together on the blog in the next day or two.

      Delete
  20. Excellent write up Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rog - looking forward to you starting yours up again!

      Delete
  21. Geoff,

    Thanks for the long term review. I'm thinking of getting one of these and this will help with the decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Derek,
      Apologies for the delay in replying - have been overseas. Every good wish for making a balanced decision. How a bike affects you emotionally is a really important factor in buying one for maximum enjoyment.

      Delete
  22. I have owned one of these for a few months now and must say it's a great bike .Ive added a few extras to make it fit my 1 bike does all needs and it's filled that role well .It never fails to make me smile .The standard rear tyre was shot at 1500 miles .I think it's one of the best value bikes in its class .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you about being a great all-purpose bike and it suits my ageing body perfectly! The OEM tyres were treacherous in cold, wet conditions which is why it's now shod with T31's!

      Thanks for dropping by and safe riding.

      Delete
  23. Great write up, Geoff. I’ve had mine for a year now. You saw the blog on the Croatia trip and it’s off to the Alps in a couple of weeks. Read your comments with interest on the BT30s. I YouTubed and was happy to say they got great reviews. They’re on my list for when I get back as they’ll be due.

    Interesting comments on the clutchless shifting. It took me a while to get used to it as it wasn’t always a smooth as advertised. I’ve got used to it now and use the upshifter a lot but not so much the downshifted as it’s too erratic. The quick shift massively helps on racing around in the mountains, that’s for sure. Interesting point though, I found that riding in Rain mode made for smoother up shifts at lower speeds. May just be my imagination but try it out. While on the subject of Rain mode, I tend to use it a lot when in and about our local bumpy city roads - live on the outskirts of south London. I feel the bike is a lot easier to control at slow speeds. Have you found the same thing.? You may have smooth roads where you live now so may not need to.

    Anyway, keep up with the great writing, Geoff.
    Regards,
    Steve




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve,
      Good to hear from you! Looking forward to reading about your Alps trip. I'm pretty happy with the T31's - very predictable. Would have preferred to try Road 5's but as you would have seen, I got several punctures when they were on my Gixxer 1000. No regrets with the BT's though. Yep, we have more than a few bumpy back roads too and have no issue with using Rain Mode to smooth the power delivery. Ditto with heavy city traffic.

      Safe riding!

      Delete
  24. Geoff,
    I'm a bit late to the party here but enjoyed your commentary and overview. I too am tossing up between a Street Triple and Duke 790. They're about the same price here in Oz but at 6'2" I'm a cramped on the Triple but not so on the Duke. I did find the seat quite firm so will likely opt for the Ergo Comfort seat. Have you noticed any heat issues from the engine in warmer weather. Some reviews have noted it particularly on the left side? Thanks and keep well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi f12 and thank you for checking in! The seat is firm but still comfortable for me on a long haul. Dependent on the shape of your butt I guess! Yep, there is a bit of heat as you describe but it's not an issue for me as I don't spend much time in town where it's most noticeable. If you were commuting on a daily basis through slow traffic, it would be different. Good luck with your choices!

      Delete
  25. thank you very much for both great write ups on the GSXS and the duke. Oddly enough both bikes (890R) are on my list as replacements for my well set up SV650. https://flic.kr/p/2napejh
    all the best!
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg,
      Thank you for the nice comments.Both great bike but in terms of emotional appeal, the 790 really did it for me. All the best for whichever bike suits you best!

      Delete

Hello! I love to hear your feedback as it often leads to other things. However, if your comments are blatant advertising, then they won't get published.